How to measure rough opening for window replacement
For those who do not know how to correctly measure the opening for a plastic window with a quarter, you need to act according to a simple scheme. If the window frame is hidden behind an exterior wall, it must be measured correctly. A mistake often costs the homeowner “a lot of money.” The indentation is always filled with foam, and this distance is also considered.
To make measurements, you need to use a standard construction meter and know the height and width of the opening.
It is much easier to calculate the dimensions of the structure without a quarter. It is unnecessary to consider additional inserts and openings; just measure the height and width, writing down this data.
Additionally, you may need to measure the mosquito net. To do this, a tape measure is applied to the opening without affecting the entire frame.
How to measure the opening for the installation of a plastic window
Before taking measurements for plastic windows, it is necessary to determine the construction type. The window can be mixed: there is a quarter on the sides and no quarter on the rest. Other combinations are also possible. In this case, it is worth familiarizing yourself with the primary measurement rules to avoid making mistakes.
When removing multilevel windows, it turns out that the opening is more significant than it initially seemed, which can be a problem. More often than not, you have to either use foam or order a larger window.
It is imperative to properly prepare for the installation of insulating glass in older buildings, where the design can be completely unpredictable. Therefore, before you measure the windows for replacement with plastic, it is worth at least on one side to forge the opening and find out how far into the wall the frame is.
How to measure a window with improvised means
To find out whether there is a quarter in the window or solid, it is worth taking several measurements, both in the house and outside.
It is necessary to do the following:
- measure all the parameters: height, width, and length;
- calculate the dimensions of internal and external structures;
- Add the dimensions of additional parts, sill, and mosquito net to the calculation.
After all the parameters are calculated, it is necessary to agree with the manufacturer and installer regarding structures type of glazing, color, insulating glass, and other details.
How to correctly take the dimensions for plastic windows
The easiest way to find out the size of the window opening in a panel house is to use a telescopic ruler or a particular professional tape measure.
It is necessary to measure the height twice on both sides, and the width is enough to spend only once at the bottom of the window. City buildings almost always have quarters. With standard sill dimensions and the entire structure, the window will be a few centimeters less than the opening in which it is installed.
How to correctly measure a plastic window
Since PVC glazing has a different configuration, it is not reasonable to consider the size of the wooden structure without adding an error. If it is necessary to replace the window with a balcony door, the calculations are carried out according to a different scheme, adding the indicators of the adjacent opening. The final estimates will depend on the window width and whether you will replace plastic or transition from wood to PVC.
How to measure plastic windows yourself
To quickly measure the size of the quarter window opening, you need to follow the instructions. The final result will depend on the overall complexity of the construction.
To each obtained figure is necessarily added a possible error, which, if necessary, is corrected by laying a unique material between the wall and the window.
To measure the plastic windows with your own hands
Every window company has a master who will measure PVC windows; the instruction will not be needed. But if you desire to save money on work, you can do all the calculations yourself. In a residential apartment, it is easy to do it, and it is enough to take into account only a few nuances:
- a tape measure is attached from one bricklayer to the other, from the outside;
- because of the window sill, the construction from below is slightly modified, so from the lower indicator of the length must be subtracted by 50 mm;
- To each upper and lateral indicator, add 20 mm.
To avoid bothering with the measurements, you can study the standard passport of the apartment and look at the numbers indicating the length, height, and width of the window. Then, calculate and add to these data the numbers mentioned above. If the apartment owner does not know how to measure the opening for a plastic window, it is better to make sure that the calculations are correct or contact a master because, in case of an error, you will have to overpay.
Standing profile for PVC windows: dimensions
It is worth reading the instructions to determine how to correctly measure the opening for installing a plastic window in the apartment.
If you want, you can vary such indicators as the width of the window sill, but the length of the entire opening and the height should remain the same.
How to measure PVC windows
To find out how to measure plastic windows correctly, it is recommended to follow the suggested instructions. The dimensions of the sashes mustn’t exceed the largest of the allowed values. The width of a single belt cannot exceed 40 cm.
To correctly determine the size of a plastic PVC window, it is also worth taking into account the “age” of the building. If the house is new and the structures are installed only for the first time, it is crucial to adhere to the general style.
It is more difficult to measure a window in a wooden house where plastic elements have not been installed.
How to correctly measure a replacement window pane
Before you measure the window opening for a plastic window, it is worth considering that there are often no protrusions in wooden buildings, so you can choose another suitable place on the wall to install the fasteners.
Performing measurement of the window opening for PVC windows, first write down the width, then the height and length. If the dimensions are not the same, subtract 50 from the most miniature figure. This is necessary for the installation of the installation seam in the future.
Before ordering plastic windows, it is necessary to make a competent measurement of the window opening. When measuring the following features, the type of house, the material of wall structures, and exterior finish should be considered.
We are measuring the window-responsible operation, which requires a thorough examination of the window opening from the inside and outside.
Metering of the plastic windows is a mandatory procedure, and the measurement should be performed even when ordering the PVC windows for the typical house. The incorrect shape of the opening and uneven thickness of the walls is a common phenomenon in the homes of mass buildings. Measuring plastic windows is a must if you live in an old building; the depth of window apertures in these buildings is much greater than in panel houses, and window apertures, even in one room, may have different sizes.
To measure plastic windows, it is better to use the services of a professional who has extensive experience in installing plastic windows. But for a more exact preliminary calculation of plastic windows cost, you can independently take the size of the window opening, or you may need an accurate measurement of plastic windows if you are sure of your possibilities and are going to install windows by yourself (but even in this case it is recommended to use services of professional).
Instructions for measuring a window opening in the house without a quarter.
To measure the window, you need to take the width and height of the window opening. When calculating the width, you should measure at the top and bottom of the space and use the smallest value in further calculations. The width of the opening should be subtracted by 20-40 mm (the gap on the foam on two sides); it will be the width of your plastic window. The opening height should also be measured from the left and right sides of the space. From the most diminutive measurement, subtract 20-40 mm (the gaps in the foam on top and bottom) and 30 mm (height under the base profile, if needed); the resulting value will be the window height.
Correct measurement of the window opening – a guarantee of quality plastic windows.
Installation of plastic windows of any configuration and size begins with carefully measuring the opening. The procedure is performed according to specific rules. Even in the exact layout of rooms, the windows will differ in size. In houses made of reinforced concrete blocks, the configuration and size of window structures are slightly different. Still, in brick houses, the differences are up to 2-4 cm (less or more depending on the system itself).
How to measure a window opening: the preparation stage
The beginning of the work is the preparation of the right tools:
- tape measure, telescopic ruler with high accuracy of measurement;
- chisel (must be blunted) at 2 cm;
- accessories to record the data obtained.
The window opening is measured from the room side and the outside. The data obtained allows you to determine the exact depth of the door. This is because the construction of the window is never smaller than the outside.
In some cases, the openings are skewed. The problem is relevant for buildings made of reinforced concrete blocks. The solution to this problem is to increase the size of the window by the amount of skew.
How to determine the size of the window with a protrusion
Window openings come with a “quarter” and without non-standard shapes. Each type has its instructions for measuring values.
To measure a window construction with a “quarter” projection, you must remember that this type of opening has visible irregularities. Therefore, to correctly determine the parameters of the space (depth), choose the size of the “quarter” from the inside of the room and the outside (street).
According to the standard, openings with a “quarter” go outside the top and side soffits by a few centimeters.
The width of the window structure itself is measured from the linings on the outside. Add about six centimeters to the obtained value so that the window adequately fits into the “quarter.” It is important to remember that the width of the plastic window frame is not greater than the width of the internal opening.
When using a substructure profile to mount the window sill and drip molding, the height of the window frame is reduced by a few centimeters.
To install the drip molding accurately, the window sill must be 1 to 3 cm higher than the bottom of the ledge.
If you measure the window correctly, it will not be skewed or extended from the outside.
The construction of the window system itself is slightly less than the opening, and there is always a tiny space for sealing.
How to determine the size of the window without a protrusion
Instructions for calculating height and width:
- Determine the parameters of the opening. To know the width, measure at the top and bottom of the space (guided by the smallest value in the calculation).
- From the obtained width, subtract 2-4 cm (for the foam) on each side. The received value is the width of the future double-glazed window.
- The height is oriented on the right and left sides of the window opening. Choosing the flower is also guided by the smaller value obtained in the calculation.
- From the more petite figure, subtract 2-4 cm (for the foam) and a few more centimeters. The resulting value is the height of the window structure.
Remember that only a highly qualified professional can correctly measure the window opening.
One of the most critical steps in window replacement is measuring the opening. If the measurements are taken incorrectly, the installation may require additional work or even reworking the finished structure, which will cost a lot of money. Therefore, the vast majority of manufacturers do not recommend that customers order based on their measurements, instead offering free or very inexpensive services from professionals.
Nevertheless, you may still need to measure the window yourself, and it would not be out of place to figure out how to do it correctly.
Measuring plastic windows
You should start by determining the type of opening. Next, check whether there are 50-65 mm broad protrusions on the sides and top of the window on the street side. If so, you have a so-called window with a quarter, if not – without it. Such quarters help protect the windows from wind, moisture, and falling out.
Further measurements will be based on the information received, but in any case, you will need to go through the following steps:
- Measure the window opening.
- Measure the distance between the side walls: first on the side closest to the street, above and below, then do the same on the apartment side. Even if you have a window without a quarter, the readings may differ because of the unevenness of the walls. Take the most little homework you can get. If you have a window with a quarter, add a few centimeters. For a panel house, 3-5 cm is enough; for a brick house – 4-6 cm. If you have done everything correctly, the inside width of the opening will not exceed the obtained result of adding the readings.
- The width of the opening without a quarter should be subtracted by 3-8 cm, which will be helpful for the mounting gap.
- When measuring the height in the same way, you should add 2-3 cm to the “net” result in the presence of a quarter, and in any case, subtract 2 cm for the mounting foam and 3 – the thickness of the base profile for the sill and window sill.
- Measure the window sill.
- It should be carried out from the apartment. Please note that modern PVC windows are much thinner than the old wooden ones. Therefore, to calculate the depth of the new window sill, measure the distance from the edge of the old one to the side of the frame closer to the street, and subtract from the result 5-6 cm.
- The sill length is the inside width of the opening +6-8 cm (if the sill will protrude on the sides).
- Calculation of the size of the soffits.
- Soffits are the ends of the window opening. In this case, we are interested in internal soffits. Their height and depth are “pure” dimensions, which should be written down as received.
- I was taking measurements from the sill.
- Having measured the width of the opening with a quarter, add 5 cm to it. The sill may also be slightly wider than the opening for windows without a quarter.
- The depth of the sill is the distance from the outside of the frame to the end of the masonry +2 cm.
Specialists record all readings in millimeters. To avoid any overlaps and misunderstandings, we recommend using this system.
Note: window sizes for log cabins are calculated a little differently. After construction, the wooden walls will “sit” for a couple of years, and even after that, they will not remain completely immobile, reacting to weather conditions. So 10-15% of the height will go for shrinkage, and you also need to consider the width of the mounting trim.
Let’s assume that your window is without a quarter. Then we will act as follows:
Measure the size of the opening vertically and subtract 5 cm – this will be the height of your window. And from the size of the door horizontally, subtract 3 cm – this will be the width of your window. Subsequently, during installation, this 3 cm will be filled with installation foam (1.5 cm on each side of the window). And 5 cm in the vertical plane – it is 1.5 cm from the top of the window – again, the installation foam and 3.5 cm below are needed to install the window sill.
To measure the width of the sill, we take the distance from the edge of the brickwork to the old window frame. Measure from the outside of the opening. Add 3-5 cm to the resulting size, i.e., we get a slight overhang of the sill for the outer brickwork. It is necessary to ensure that rainwater will not run down the wall. Next, we measure the length of the sill between the window opening slopes, also from the street side. Add 5 – 8 cm to the resulting distance.
It remains to make measurements of the length and width of the future window sill and add at least 5-8 cm on both sides so that the window sill is slightly “cut in” right and left into the wall. It is better to take a margin of 20-30 cm; the extra will be cut off during installation. Then, naturally, we measure the window sill inside the opening.
Windowsills and sills, as a rule, have the unified dimensions of width (10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60 cm) and length (up to 6 m). Therefore, you need to get your minimum size to determine a suitable window sill and sill out of the available sizes.
Have you looked at your window better, and it turns out that after all, it is with a quarter? We’re going to get to the bottom of that, too! So:
We measure the size of the window opening horizontally between the quarters at the narrowest point. We add 3-4 cm to this size (1.5-2 cm on each side of the window). This will be the width of our window. On a vertical line, just measure the distance from the bottom of the opening to the top quarter, do not add anything, and do not take away anything. It will be the size of our window vertically. Sill and sill measure the same way as in the version of the opening without a quarter.
Thus, in both cases, we get the six necessary dimensions to order the window:
– window height;
– window width;
– window sill length;
– window sill width;
-length of the sill;
– the width of the sill.
Before you buy and install plastic windows, you need to measure the window opening. Unfortunately, this action is not as simple as it may seem. Many mistakes are made at this stage of the work with windows; after all, the price of new windows largely depends on the opening size.
To avoid mistakes, you should entrust this work to professionals. Therefore, each severe company engaged in the installation of windows is staffed by a professional measurer who, at a convenient time for owners, performs measuring.
Company measurers quickly and efficiently do their job and can advise on all matters relating to the windows.
However, there may be situations when you need to measure the windows by yourself because life is unpredictable. For plastic windows to be chosen correctly, the window opening should be measured inside and outside the room. You will need a telescopic ruler or an ordinary tape measure.
The first step is to measure the window opening from the inside. Do not confuse the frame and the window opening; measuring the door, width, and height is necessary. The width is measured along the window sill, from one slope to the other. You do not need to open the windows. The flower is measured from the window sill to the upper window sill on both sides, as the shape of the opening may be uneven. Plastic windows must be made precisely to the dimensions obtained to fit perfectly in place. In this case, the gaps between the frame and the opening should be left for later filling with installation foam and insulation.
When measuring, you must also consider the plaster’s thickness. To get an accurate reading, it makes sense to grind the opening before measuring. The thickness of the old window sill is also essential, as is the thickness of the new sill to be installed. Finally, the length and depth of the sill are also measured. Plastic windows are seated at a different depth than traditional wooden windows, much closer to the street, so the depth of the new window sill may increase by 6-10 cm and its length.
Types of openings
The measurement process depends on the type of opening. There are two types: straight and with a quarter. It is not necessary to make measurements; focusing on the size of the old frame will be a severe mistake. The main differences between types of window openings:
- A straight opening has straight walls, and their size is the same on the inside as on the outside. If the house is frame or wooden, the door is always straight. There may be a minimal difference between the outside and the inside because of the end cut. Sometimes the blocks are not laid relatively evenly, and the opening turns out with an angle. In this case, too, will be a noticeable difference in size, but it is insignificant for measurements.
- With a quarter. This variant differs in the presence of L-shaped ledges on the side of the walls. The quarter is straight and inverted on the inside when the shelf is on the outside. The opening with a quarter can often be found in brick houses. It is worth paying attention to the fact that sometimes the side walls are aligned with plaster because this opening with a quarter seems straight, but when installing a window, problems may arise. The raised jambs are often challenging to identify, and even an experienced artisan can make a mistake.
Measuring a straight opening
To measure, you will first need to decide whether the window will be recessed or flush with the wall on the street. A fundamental difference from the technical side is there is no one that you can choose for yourself. It all depends on what location you like the frame more aesthetically. If you select the option in which the window will be flush with the outer wall, you will have a large window sill inside, it will be easier to install the construction, and the gaps will be easy to close the slopes outside.
It is required to make two measurements:
- at the top and bottom in width;
- on both sides in height: left and right.
If there is a difference in size, go with the smaller one. Do not forget about the installation gap: it is necessary for the foam and ease of work. It will be required to consider the window sill’s thickness. It is added to the height of the opening. From the figures, subtract about 30 mm (the size of the support profile).
The opening size may slightly decrease if the house has not yet shrunk. This must be taken into account; otherwise, the window unit will crack because of the pressure of the wall on it. For example, if the house is wooden, you can put a jamb with a gap at the top edge in the opening, but you will still need to leave room for shrinkage. This is because gaps are filled with insulating material.
Measuring an opening with a quarter
Quarters are needed so that the joint between the wall and the window unit is not visible. They can be of different widths. Their size is less than the width between the exterior soffits but more significant than the distance between the soffits on the outside.
To make a proper measurement, you will need:
- measure the height and width of the opening, at the difference in values, choose the smaller one;
- To make the window fit into the quarter, add 2-3 cm on each side;
- measure the distance between the inner lining, choose the smaller one;
- From it, subtract 2-3 cm on each side;
- select the optimal value of the two received.
Measuring the window sill and drip moldings
When measuring the opening, you will need to consider the height of the window sill if it is not dismantled. This will require:
- measure the depth of the window opening from the inside;
- measure the distance from the wall to the base profile;
- Add 10-15 cm to the obtained value, and this is the distance the window sill must protrude from the opening;
- To ensure that the panel fits snugly into the slopes (it is cut on the spot), you must add to the width of the opening by 10 cm on each side.
To ensure that your windows are not flooded in the rain and do not suffer insulation, which closes the gap, requires the installation of low tides. You need to measure the window opening on the wall slices and add 4 cm to the obtained value.
Sills for plastic windows are equipped with a drip, and their width is calculated considering their installation. It should be taken out about 3 cm relative to the wall. The design’s size coincides with the window’s width, but you need to add another 4 cm for the ledge. We will need to consider the bend angle, which usually does not exceed 130 degrees. The sill can be quite long. If it is more than 1.7 meters, purchase the product with expansion gaps at the ends. Their size is 5-8 mm, and such gaps are filled, as a rule, with sealant.
Among the most common mistakes, note the following:
- The ordered window turned out to be smaller than necessary. In this case, you can install it but must perform a series of manipulations to secure the window in the opening. Will be spent more insulating materials and insulation. If the size difference is enormous, the door can be filled with a suitable material. When the walls are brick, it is as easy as possible to do this.
- The window is larger than the opening. In this case, you will either have to make a new window or physically expand the door, if possible. As a rule, such a procedure is labor-intensive and expensive and can significantly damage the walls. Therefore, first, calculate what will be cheaper – to produce a new window or break the opening for the existing one.
Errors in measurements can occur for various reasons; people often forget about the mounting gap or measure from the wrong point, are deceived by a thick layer of plaster, forget about soffits and window sills, and do not take into account the slopes. In addition, many homes do not have perfectly flat walls and often have to deal with irregularities that must be considered.
The consequences of incorrect measurement
To get close to the ideal size, you first must ensure that the walls are level. It will be necessary to figure out where the border is since the plaster layer can be very thick. If you can’t figure out the exact size you’re looking for, and you may have the following problems:
- too large gaps will have to be sealed;
- the opening will have to be caulked, as you can’t securely fix a window that is much smaller than it should be;
- the appearance of gaps;
- shrinkage of the walls and deformation of the window frame;
- Improper operation of the window hardware because you can not put it correctly.
Plastic windows have long been firmly established in modern life. They have been installed in buildings and structures of absolutely any purpose thanks to their versatility and unsurpassed qualities compared to traditional wooden constructions. The sizes at the installation of windows play an essential role. The qualitative installation of the plastic windows depends on correctly made measurements.
Importance of correct measurements
The firm manufacturer usually offers the services of a measuring engineer. This service is free of charge. Making a product is based on the measurement sheet, where the measurer specifies all the necessary parameters. If there are difficulties with the wrong product during the installation of the window, the responsibility will be borne by the firm manufacturer.
As a rule, the window measurement is performed by the firm manufacturer.
Suppose the customer himself provides the dimensions, then at the stage of signing an agreement on services for manufacturing and installation of plastic windows. In that case, he signs a measurement sheet made by a manager based on provided dimensions.
By his signature, the customer confirms the accuracy of the measurements from his words indicated in the measurement form, which means that in case the window does not fit during installation, the customer will bear the responsibility and all the financial costs for the modification of the product will fall on his shoulders. Therefore, performing measurements yourself is essential to take this very seriously.
Window openings are measured from two sides: from inside and outside the room. In this way, the first significant value is determined – the depth of the window opening.
In prefabricated houses, it is often the case that the window openings were installed with considerable distortion of the window in the original slab installation stage of the house. These values must be considered during the installation of the plastic windows and, based on these values, increase the size of the manufactured window. Internal and external measurements must be compared, and the error must be found.
When taking measurements, it is necessary to consider possible misalignments.
After installing the window to visually correct the curvature, you can use a lining, which gives the window opening a neat appearance and does not allow condensation to accumulate due to high humidity, thereby preventing mold formation.
To identify possible miscalculations, it is helpful to compare the internal dimensions of the opening with the expected size of the new window. Measurement error should not exceed ten millimeters.
Windows with quarters
When installing a plastic window in a brick house, there are nuances. Window apertures in brick houses are characterized by the presence of quarters, protruding brick fragments that prevent the possible fall out of the window frames. According to the norms, the size of the quarter has to be 6.5 cm, but in practice, it could be any size.
Therefore, it is imperative to consider this feature so that during the installation, there will be no problems with the structure of the drainpipe. This requires a distance of 1.5 – 2 cm from the upper edge of the bottom quarter to the window frame. Therefore, the window frame must be installed to the upper quarters not higher than 1.5 cm, and about the side – 4-5 cm.
During installation, there must be no contact between the frame and the existing window. The size of the gap at the bottom should not be less than 4 cm, and at the top and side – not less than 5 cm. This is because plastic windows are installed with installation foam, which has the property of primary and secondary expansion.
When installing a window in a brick house, it is necessary to consider the presence of quarters.
To ensure that the construction does not “warp” after the secondary increase in foam volume, spacers are installed around the perimeter during the installation phase of the window.
If the installation of the window is intended external drainage system and window sill, this entails the need to install a support profile, which will be mounted to these elements. Therefore, the window height must be reduced by the value of the size of the support profile, which is 3 cm.
Windows without a quarter
You must make a few simple steps to solve the question of how to measure a window without a quarter. First, the width of the future window is calculated after measuring the top and bottom of the window. This calculation takes the smaller value, from which subtract 4 cm for the placement of mounting seams on both sides – as a result, we get the width of the future product.
It is worth noting that the greater the error in measuring the width in several places, the greater the number of centimeters that will need to be subtracted to determine the final size.
From the width of the window, an opening must be subtracted the size of the seams.
The calculation of the window product height follows the same rules as for the width, only in this case, about 2.5 cm should be subtracted from the obtained value for the installation seam, and 3 cm if a sub-frame profile is to be fitted.
Why do you need a base profile?
A support profile is an element placed in the bottom part of the window product and is 3 cm high. An external water trap, made of powder-coated metal, is attached to the stand profile. The sill prevents the accumulation of atmospheric precipitations and protects the mounting seam from them.
A support profile is needed for fixing the drip molding.
From the inside of the room to the trim, a profile is attached to the PVC window sill board, which also hides the installation seam and makes an aesthetic appearance to the window.
On the inside, the window sill is attached to the trim profile.
It is essential to know that when applying a PVC window sill, the width of the window sill will be 5 cm bigger than a standard wooden window sill. According to the customer’s wish, the window sill can be up to 70 cm wide. Still, it is necessary to take into account not to let the radiator run under it, as a wide window sill will interfere with the correct circulation of warm air.
It is not recommended to install a window sill that is too wide over the radiator.
When calculating the width of the window sill, consider its overhang, which cannot be less than 1 cm. Therefore, the length of the window sill is equal to the width of the opening with the launch on the wall on both sides, which must not be less than 5 cm.
Peculiarities in the measurement of a balcony window
The structure on which to mount the window, in this case, will be the balcony railing, so the window’s width will equal its length. Since the alignment of the front and side parts will be carried out by setting the corner profile in the right place, subtract the width from the length of the railing – this will be the width of the new window.
The height of the product is the distance from the top of the fence to the balcony slab above. From this value must be subtracted 3 cm for the installation seam.
Peculiarities in measuring window openings in old private houses
Before you measure a window opening in an old secluded home, it is necessary to identify the actual dimensions of this opening. To do this, it is essential to dismantling the soffits. Often under the slopes are hidden significant gaps sealed with cement or insulation.
Before measuring a window opening in an old house, it is necessary to remove the soffits.
During the dismantling of the old frame, all this additional construction can collapse, and it will turn out that the opening has a much larger size, which will only be a plus. But if the measurements were previously made on the old windows, you will have to restore all the free space instead of using the broader windows.
Choosing a design, you should decide on its color, configuration, availability of sashes and the desired mechanism for opening, the presence of window sill, and molding and trim.
As for the color scheme, the standard color of PVC windows is white, and widespread are laminated profiles in walnut, mahogany, cherry, and oak. Perhaps in other colors, but because of their limited use, the cost of such windows is much higher. It is important to note that the facade of the building and all the windows should be made in the same style and color; otherwise, it violates its architectural look.
The configuration of the window can be different: square, rectangular, round, triangular, polygonal, or arched. Modern technology of plastic windows allows the implementation of any design ideas. In this case, the diameter of the arch design should not be less than 50 cm.
The diameter of the arch window must be no less than 50 cm
Plastic windows can be fixed or have wings positioned vertically or as a transom. Choosing the width of sashes, it is essential to consider that it may have a limit on the catalog of window systems. Since the perimeter fittings have restrictions, the tilt-turn belt cannot be less than 40 cm wide.
The opening mechanism can be rotary, tilt, or tilt&turn. When installing windows in panel houses, the lining is not installed, and trim and installation of drip molding are performed.
In panel houses, installing plastic windows is accompanied by drip caps and finishing soffits.
In private houses, you disguise the installation seam with the help of trim and protect it from the effects of precipitation. If the low tide is installed, the lining is mounted on three sides; if there is no low tide, then the four.
If you have to replace all the windows on the facade, you must measure them all at once. Their height may be virtually the same, but the width may differ. The manufacturer must take the smallest value of the estimated window.
To determine where to install the window unit must know the thickness of the wall. The inside of the structure should be mounted to a depth equal to 2/3 of the width of the wall, and you can take into account the width of the outer insulation and install it further.
If you add 5 cm to the width of the opening for the bend and 4 cm for the overhang, you will know the required value of the width of the ditch. If the wall is sheathed, this thickness must also be considered. The slope width was measured only after the installation of the window unit.
Not long ago, metal windows were considered an “elite” element of the house or apartment, available to very few wealthy owners. Today the situation has changed – these window systems are not so expensive and have moved into the widely used category by almost all average families. Moreover, they are much better than wood windows in terms of thermal insulation, noise insulation, and fitting all elements, which becomes a reliable barrier to drafts and street dust. And outwardly, such windows are friendly and easily disguised in any house design and its rooms.
In short, in the construction of new homes and during the repairs, the question is almost always resolved in favor of installing these. Large and small companies are currently engaged in their assembly – many in virtually all regions of the country. Large firms in the price of their windows at once layered and their installation – with the large production volume they can afford. But you can often find small private enterprises, which require installation for a separate fee – which in today’s times is about 2.5 ÷ 3.0 thousand rubles. It is clear that immediately there is a thought – is it so difficult to install a plastic window with your own hands? Is it possible to save money by doing the installation yourself?
It turns out that this is quite doable. But, of course, the main thing is to understand the process’s technology and prepare the necessary supplies. And, of course, to be very careful during installation, strictly follow the instructions for installation.
The main stages of the installation of a plastic window
Must be carried out in a precise sequence. This technology has already passed the “test of time,” and to make adjustments at your discretion will not be appropriate:
- First, the necessary measurements are taken, and the order for the window construction is made.
- After the window is made and delivered, the old frames are removed, and the opening is cleaned and corrected if necessary.
- The next step is to prepare the new window for installation. As discussed below, it may vary depending on the chosen window installation method.
- The most crucial step is the correct installation of the window in the opening, its alignment vertically and horizontally with the required clearances, and the fastening of the walls.
- Next is sealing the joints between the frame and the opening to ensure waterproofing and vapor barrier.
- The next step is the installation of the sill outside and window sill inside the room.
- Then you make the final adjustment mechanisms of the window, installing the necessary hardware elements.
- When the room is made finishing – are installed window jambs.
Now about the basic steps – with all the details.
Two basic ways to mount plastic windows
Before you take on independent work, you need to understand a bit of theory.
Of course, the windows of different manufacturers may have their characteristic features, another form of cross-section profiles and reinforcement, the number of air chambers, and the design of the insulating glass unit. However, still, the standard scheme remains the same.
More detail about how to choose the optimal model and how to approach the selection is described in a special publication on our portal:
- Secondly, it is necessary to determine the method of fixing the window in the opening. In practice, there are two main approaches – installation directly through the frame with dowels or anchors or installation with pre-fixed brackets (anchor plates) on the window.
The advantages of this method:
- The window in the opening is installed much more accurately.
- The strength of the attachment of the entire window system – is higher, so this approach is the only possible for large windows (2000 or more mm on either side) or where the anticipated high external loads (incredibly windy places, high buildings, etc.)
- The window requires mandatory disassembly – removing glazing beads and double glazing, opening sashes. This is an unnecessary problem for an inexperienced craftsman because glazing beads are easy to scratch or even bend when dismantling, and the removed insulating glass unit requires special care. Because of the need for disassembly, this method is often called installation with unpacking the window.
- Breaking the integrity of the profile (drilling through it) reduces its thermal insulation qualities and, under certain conditions, can provoke.
- Such installation takes more time.
At once, it is appropriate to make one important note. The owners of the apartment, one way or another, will have to go to a firm that is engaged in the manufacture of windows to make an order. The optimal situation is when a manufacturer representative will come and independently conduct all the necessary measurements. Firstly, a specialist in this business – has a lot more experience, and the chance of error will be minimal. Meters, as a rule, are already familiar with all the typical buildings and are much easier to deal with the nuances of window openings. Secondly, suppose the made window does not match the beginning for any reason. In that case, the whole responsibility will be on the company’s employees, and the customer will have the right to demand the right window design.
Measurements are often a free service.
In serious companies, the opening measurement is often included in the order cost and is not additionally paid, so do not play with your head.
If you still decide to measure by yourself, you should first understand the configuration of the window opening:
- In panel apartment buildings, most often, there are openings with a quarter – a monolithic rim on both sides and above the entrance, thus forming the outer slope of the window (in the figure – left).
- In brick buildings, usually, there is no quarter – the opening is formed by straight planes perpendicular to the wall (in the figure – right).
Measurement of different openings has its peculiarities.
Measuring the window aperture with a quarter
When measuring a window with a quarter, it is taken into account that on both vertical sides and at the top, the window frame must be 15 ÷ 25 mm over the quarter, and there must still be a gap left to fill it with installation foam.
So, the measurement is made as follows:
- From the outside in several places (top, center, bottom), strictly along the horizontal distance is measured A between the opposite linings. Given that the window should go to them for 15 ÷ 25 mm, the resulting space is added 30 ÷ 50 mm. This way, the window’s desired width is obtained in advance.
Now make measurements inside. The width of the opening C is determined at its widest point, at the level of the wall (also horizontally in several places – to control it). Not to be confused with the value B, which shows the distance between the slopes at the frame – this indicator has no substantial value in this case.
Now you can compare the desired window’s preliminarily obtained width with the opening’s width. At least 20 mm of sealing foam must be left on each side. It is possible to adjust the ordered width, as there is a specific range of the window on the quarter.
- Now for the height of the window. The entrance of the frame on the upper quarter remains the same. The lower quarter, as a rule, is not present in the openings, as the window sill and the external sill are installed here. To install them, it is necessary to use an additional installation profile under the window frame. Most often, manufacturers mount it while the order is still in progress, but it never hurts to check.
What type of fasteners will be needed? This depends on the wall material and how the window is mounted in the opening.
If the method of attachment “with unpacking” is used, that is, through the frame, then take metal, frame dowels (anchors), or dowel nails with a diameter of 10 mm. In this case, anchors are advisable to use on concrete, brick (solid or hollow brick), expanded clay lightweight concrete, foam concrete walls, or natural stone. Dowel nails are preferable for walls of low compressive strength, such as lightweight concrete or other porous materials. They are also suitable for hollow blocks and bricks.
In the case where installation on the anchor plates will be used, two dowel nails with a diameter of 6 or 8 mm will be enough for each attachment point. In addition, you will need the plates themselves – and buy them better in the same organization that manufactures the window – the special hooks on the plate must fit precisely to the PVC profile. Finally, you will need self-tapping screws with a drilling point of 4 × 25 mm – one piece for each mounting point to fix the scale.
The length of the primary fasteners should be such that, considering the frame’s thickness and the mounting gap’s width, it provides a minimum depth into the wall thickness. Therefore, it has a different value for different wall materials – see table:
Small self-tapping screws 4 × 16 may be needed to fix the sill and auxiliary elements to install the window sill. They are also required if you intend to establish a mosquito net on the outside of the window – they are used to attach plastic brackets to the frame profile:
- The PSUL tape should be purchased to cover the entire perimeter of the window. It is installed to seal the gap between the window and the adjoining quarter – on the sides and above. And from below, it will be fastened at the installation of an external sill. If the window opening is without quarters, you will need less tape.
- Tape PPE with foil – it will be necessary to insulate the perimeter of the window from the inside fully.
- Vapor permeable diffusion tape-membrane – will cover the underside of the window from the outside with an opening with a quarter, and it is desirable to glue it all around the perimeter of the space – straight, without a quarter.
- Assembling foam: the best option is to buy cans of “pro” foam, which will require a particular gun. It does not give “inadequate” expansion, as cheap, sold in spray guns, and will not have a deforming effect on the frame pillars. In addition, it is much better and more durable; it is much easier to apply in the right places without excessive overspending.
- Finally, silicone sealant. It may be needed to seal narrow gaps between the frame and window sill or soffits. If properly installed, the holes, if any, will be tiny; that is, a large amount of sealant is not required.
And finally, the prudent owner will buy a film, which will cover the furniture, walls, floor in the room where the installation of windows – the work at first will be pretty dusty.